Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Weekly Replays during the week of September 27th

This will be a ongoing segment of my blog. Music is a big part of my life, whether I choose to pursue it as a career or not. It's inspiring. It's gives me hope about life.

What draws you to a song? What makes you rewind certain parts over and over again? What parts makes you smile, or tear up at others?

Is it the words? The melody? The music? The feeling you get when you listen to it? Or a combination of it all?

For me it's a little bit of everything. Some songs I like because of the beat, how the person flows on it, the feeling I get from it. This past week (the week of September 27th) was the first time I questioned why I replayed certain songs over and over again. They all had meaning, they all had a depth to them. Importantly, they all had a relation to my life and what I was going through at that time. This prompted me to look up the lyrics of the songs and decode them a bit. Since being in my Intro to Literature Class, I love picking apart words that have been put together. I no longer look at words as words. They all symbolize something, they all have some meaning.

Scatterbrain
-Radiohead
This song has special meaning to me and this is the song I'm currently listening to it right now. When I first heard it, I heard a cover of singer Muhsinah, which is as good as the original. You couldn't really hear what she was saying clearly at some parts but I connected to it. The feeling, the song as a whole. I found out it was a cover and then looked up the lyrics. The lyrics were very all over the place, it was like looking in the mind of a scatterbrained person, which was the effect Radiohead was going for. The lyrics weren't made to be able to decode or even completely understand. You make sense of it in your own way. How this relates to me? People say I'm scatterbrained. Which is true. My thought process is not in a straight line which is one of the things that I love but sometimes can get annoying. Like when I do homework or take a test, I rarely start at the beginning. I jump all over the place, I may even stop writing an answer to go to another and come back to it. Sometimes I choose what's hard first and then go to what's easy last. I may even go work backwards from the back of the sheet just because I feel like it. I don't always have a reason for what I do. But it's getting to be annoying right now because I'm at college and I'm still in the process of figuring out what I want to do. I know that I won't have one career, I have goals in life, I just don't know what to pursue first. I have no plan. So every other day, I could be in a good mood because I just came from , my favorite class and then the next day I say "F**k college." My relationship with college is rocky. It's been that way from the start. In my next post I will elaborate on that.

Aquarius Rising-Sy Smith
I came arcoss this randomly while on Last.fm last week. Immediately I could relate to the words, the lyrics and even the music. I'm also an Aquarius. I have this fascination with astrology and so I will try and read up and soak up all I can about Aquariuses. A lot of the information is true too. This song made me even more proud to be an Aquarius. Here are some of the lyrics that I liked the most.
Cherish tradition yet unorthodoxed

I'm unpredictable and so out of step
Ahead of my time and bent on intellect

I'm fascinated with the future unknown
Experimental when I get into my zone

This is me in a nutshell. There's so much more to me than that.

Perfectly Blind-Day 26
I've had this song for awhile but never really paid it any attention until last week for some reason. Brian and Will in my opinion have the best voices of the group but Que's voice in the first verse is what drew me to the song in the first place. What got me listening to the song over an over last week was the combination of the voices, lyrics and the emotion through their voices. I love a song that tells a story and this was told beautifully even though the subject matter isn't all that pretty. About a man who's lost in love, hence the title. The lyrics are filled with imagery and emotion, which I needed last week.
My wide eyes, straight with red lines
Visions of me and you
Shattered in a day like broken glass

Mind is torn, Heart is torn
Violently craving
A substitute for you
I'm constantly on and off with this guy that I've known for about 7 months. Like college, it's a rocky, ongoing battle within myself. But every time I'm willing to stay and follow him blindly because I love him. Which is how I interpreted the song and connected with it. The last two lines(and the line:Could you take me as I am?) I can relate to and I'll probably write about it in a later post.

It Kills Me-Melanie Fiona
I found this song while I was losing the constant battle of asking myself should I give what me and my love have another chance. The message, lyrics and Melanie Fiona's intensity are what I connected to in this song. Of her wanting to stay and stick out her relationship so bad she's willing to risk her sanity is exactly how I felt and still feel. I often question myself. But it always comes back to him. My 1st love.
Ooooh I gotta be out my mind to think it’s gonna work this time
A part of me wants to leave, but the other side still believes
And it kills me to know how much I really love you
So much I wanna ooh hoo ohh to you hoo hoo


No comments:

Post a Comment