Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mixtape Junkie

If there's one thing anybody should know about me is that I L O V E mixtapes. They are seriously one of my most favorite things in the world; I can go on and on for hours about mixtapes.

In my opinion, mixtapes are better than a CD. They show the range of the artist, there's really no boundaries, you truly get to see your favorite rapper in true form, discover some new amazing people, and plus they're free. What's better than that?

I loved the idea of a mixtape, it was genius. When I was in the 8th grade, I thought "Why aren't singers doing the same thing?" About 6 months later, Amerie came out with her mixtape, being one of the 1st major signed singers to come out with one.

Mixtapes have been around for awhile, it was a way for new rappers to get their name around, get a buzz in the streets. The 1st mixtape I got was the 1st installment of "I Can't Feel My Face", a collaboration with Lil Wayne & Juelz Santana. I played that mixtape to death; after that I was hooked.

In about '07, I started to go a different direction in how I found my music(meaning I actually searched for my music) and I got hip to a lot of different, origional, talented artists such as The Cool Kids, Santigold, and Miguel Jontel.

Last year people called '09 "The Year of the Mixtapes", with the release with Drake's, "So Far Gone", J. Cole's "The Warm up", and even newcomer & one of my favorite Diggy's "The First Flight."

In my opinion 2010 is raising the bar on how mixtapes are percieved. You could really package and sell these projects as actual CDs. These artists put so much work in these mixtapes for them to be free, just for the fans. They genuinely love what they do. Even though 2010 is far from over, there's been so many good mixtapes released but I have my Fav 5.

1. There Is No Competion 2-Fabolous
Dude officially killed the game on this one. I really liked how he brought on some people that were as talented as him, but weren't really well known(Paul Cain, Red Cafe, Kobe, Freck Billionaire).

2. 100 Words and Running- Machine Gun Kelly(MGK)
OMG!!!! Words cannot express how I feel about this one. Reppin my hometown Cleveland heavy, MGK, being the 1st rapper to win Apollo; he's doing big things at only 20 years old! This guy can spit, he's hands down my favorite rapper right now. Look out for him. Remember the name! Or better yet download it before he blows up!

3. May 25th-B.o.b.
It's so refreshing to see somebody who's signed who actually has talent and something new to say. ♥ I'm sure you've heard of the radio friendly single, "Nothing On You" feat. Bruno Mars and "Airplanes" and "Airplanes pt. 2" feat. Hayley Williams & Eminem. On this mixtape, you really hear him without all that packaging & nonsense. He's outspoken about a lot of things, plus he sings and raps; that's why I love him.

4.In My Zone-Chris Brown


I was surprised at how much I loved this mixtape. In my eyes it was better than his CD that he came out with in December of last year. In My Zone all about sex, girls, and partying; while the CD was more emotional. I think his fans needed to see this side of him again.

5. Don't Mention It- Pac Div
Talented group that got that Cali Swag with a message. 'Nuff said.

There are many more mixtapes that I would've talked about but these are my current fav 5 that I can listen to over & over again.

Honorable Mentions: Yelawolf's "Trunk Muzik" & Chris Webby's "Optimus Rhyme."

Check out Datpiff.com for all the hottest mixtapes, that's my favorite website. They have everything.

*Tyga & Chris Brown's "Fan Of a Fan" mixtape drops at midnight! You know I will be one of the 1st to cop that! *

No comments:

Post a Comment