Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Girls

So yesterday I go down to the basement of my dorm to do laundry. It was the first time I had done since I got to college. So while I'm waiting on my clothes to get done, I chill on my computer and read nothing but street brand and fashion blogs. & occasionally listen to some music. The laundry room is on the guys floor so nothing but guys come in and out of the room to do laundry at this time. Out of about 5 of the guys I have conversations with 3 of them. They were genuinely friendly and not just joshing me. They really didn't have to talk to me. But it kinda made me feel better. Then I suddenly the age old question that I've been trying to answer for years popped up in my head. "Why are guys nicer to me than girls? Why do girls seem not to take to me as easily as guys?" They still have gone unanswered for years but it's getting to be annoying. In elementary school and high school it was fine. But for some odd reason I thought that just because I live with a floor full of girls, that I would at least bond with one of them, if not my roommate. I finally thought that I would interact with some girls that were like minded because all these girls have my major which is Music Technology (which I am about to drop!!..peep future posts for the explanation). But just because they have your major doesn't mean you'll automatically get along. All my life girls have just rubbed me the wrong way. So it's weird whenever I strike up a friendship with one. I try to keep my distance because they never last that long.
I raised this question and conversed over this topic with two of my guy friends and my sister. One of my guy friends said it might be because girls are jealous, and that's why the friendships never last that long. I relayed that to my sister and she said that most white girls( I'm the only black girl on the floor and maybe the whole dorm) don't get jealous over black girls. They really don't go out their way to reach out to us either. I won't go into depth on that subject, we'd be here all night. My other guy friend said it's because I'm gorgeous. Even though I was very flattered by that comment, me and my sister know for a fact that they don't feel threatened by black girls. They think they're superior anyway. Okay, okay lets get off the race subject. But even within my own race I never really had a long term female friend. Sometimes it came off as though I wasn't "black" enough to hang with the ghetto ass black girls. Which hurts. But I gotta keep it moving. I'm a cool ass black girl who really doesn't try to define herself because of her race. I am defined by my interests, my personality, my fashion sense, shit like that. Butwould you really get to know that if you never talk to me? Probably not .

* If you didn't realize I've been M.I.A. for awhile but I'm back!!! This blog got kinda boring. I've been blogging over at Tumblr. Jimmychoosandsupras.tumblr.com to be exact. Go check it out.The blog is getting revamped & in my next post I will tell you why!!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment